Genome Variations?


What kinds of genome variations are there?

Genome variations include mutations and polymorphisms. Technically, a polymorphism (a term that comes from the Greek words “poly,” or “many,” and “morphe,” or “form”) is a DNA variation in which each possible sequence is present in at least 1 percent of people. For example, a place in the genome where 93 percent of people have a T and the remaining 7 percent have an A is a polymorphism. If one of the possible sequences is present in less than 1 percent of people (99.9 percent of people have a G and 0.1 percent have a C), then the variation is called a mutation.

Informally, the term mutation is often used to refer to a harmful genome variation that is associated with a specific human disease, while the word polymorphism implies a variation that is neither harmful nor beneficial. However, scientists are now learning that many polymorphisms actually do affect a person’s characteristics, though in more complex and sometimes unexpected ways.

About 90 percent of human genome variation comes in the form of single nucleotide polymorphisms, or SNPs (pronounced “snips”). As their name implies, these are variations that involve just one nucleotide, or base. Any one of the four DNA bases may be substituted for any other—an A instead of a T, a T instead of a C, a G instead of an A, and so on.

Theoretically, a SNP could have four possible forms, or alleles, since there are four types of bases in DNA. But in reality, most SNPs have only two alleles. For example, if some people have a T at a certain place in their genome while everyone else has a G, that place in the genome is a SNP with a T allele and a G allele.

The human genome contains more than 2 million SNPs.

GeneWize looks at 12 of these Genes (healthy aging genes) and then customizes your Nutritional Supplement and Skin Repair Serum based on your DNA, which mitigates and compensates for your predispositions or “flaws.” www.mygenewize.com/lifestyles

Advertisements

About thelifestylechanger

Glenda De Luca has spent over 25 years in the Beauty Industry, and has transitioned from the temporary beauty fix to permanent health and well-being, helping others transform their outer beauty based on nutrition and movement. She has also spent two years doing extensive research on the effects of pH levels in the body, and its profound impact on your health and well being. THE LIFESTYLE CHANGER Orange County, CA, USA 949.215.5701 Office 408.398.8043 Cell E-mail: thelifestylechanger@live.com Glenda has a Bachelor of Science degree in Para Psychic Sciences as well as a Level 2 Reiki Certification and is currently studying for her Masters in Holistic Nutrition. She lives a healthy lifestyle where she incorporates what she loves to eat based on a pH balanced diet, food combining, and customized supplementation based on her own personal DNA. She also incorporates movement into her Lifestyle to achieve the perfect weight and health. She is passionate about helping others achieve their Health and Wellness "Desired Results" in a manner that is fun, easy and sustainable.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s